How to Improve Image Search Rankings?
The importance of image search rankings has risen significantly in recent times. Almost 27% of all searches on Google are Image Search. Furthermore, nearly one-eighth of web search results also display an image pack on the results page.
To improve the ranking on Image Search, it is necessary to know the necessary criteria. There are numerous criteria but they are not very difficult to follow. In comparison to optimization of web results, optimization of images is an easier task. This is because in case of image search, Google is more worried about the relevance of the image as opposed to the popularity of the link. There is lower focus on spamming and manipulation of search rankings.
The following are the factors that Google will go through from a webpage containing an image:
- Page title
- The content surrounding the image: Google will look at the content surrounding the text and will decide that whether it is relevant to the content or not.
- Size of the image: Google does not give high preference to small sized images. Same applies to extremelybig images.
- The filename of the image (the file you uploaded): Avoid putting all the words together or put any spaces. Use hyphens as separators. Do not forcefully insert keywords.
- The caption of the image: Some experts consider the image caption to be more important than the alt attribute of an image. So, if a caption is placed below the image, it can help the image get a higher ranking also.
- The alternative text or alt attribute for an image, if the image does not show up
- Link to the page: Due to this reason, image galleries do not get a higher ranking because there is very little text surrounding them. Images are displayed in a gallery setup. Although there are numerous images on the page, Google is only interested in one or two images that are most relevant to the topic of the page. Because of this, images ranking higher on the search results are mostly the leading image on their respective pages.
- Popularity and engagement of image: There have been instances when an image ranked lower has gone up in image search results due to more links by users. This signals Google that the image is relevant to search terms and it bumps up the images immediately.
- Embeds of the image: If an image has been used and embedded by multiple pages then it would also have a positive impact on the ranking of the image.
- The ranking of the URL: If the page has a high ranking then it is highly likely then the image would have a high ranking also. However, a lower ranking of the page does not adversely impact the rise of ranking of an image.
- Relevance of the image: Google has started to incorporate this factor in image search in recent times. Although, all the above factors related to image optimization would have been incorporated but if Google does not find relevance then it would not display the results in its Image Search.
What Should Be Done for Effective Image Optimization?
- For effective image optimization, an effective SEO goal should be formulated keeping in view the keyword requirements.
- Formulate a list of relevant keywords that have image blocks in them. This way you would have a list of keywords that you want to target in web search.
- Conducting an audit of images already present on your website. The optimization can be conducted for all the factors mentioned.